The average home today contains 62 toxic chemicals.
Less than 2% of synthetic chemicals have been tested for toxicity.
An EPA study concluded that indoor air was 3 to 70 times more polluted than outdoor air.
Another study stated that the toxic chemicals in household cleaners are 3 times more likely to cause cancer than outdoor air.
CMHC reports that houses today are so energy efficient that "out-gassing" of chemicals has nowhere to go, so it builds up inside the home.
For the best air purifiers, to improve your indoor air quality, go to:
We live in a beautiful part of the world, but one of the things we put up with on the West coast is moisture.
If the moisture inside your house is high, this can lead to mould growth.
It is important to keep the humidity in your house between 40 and 60 percent. Mould likes to grow above 60% humidity. If your house is above 60% for long periods of time, it is important to buy a dehumidifier.
If you do have visible mould, DO NOT USE BLEACH!!! Bleach is being linked to the rising rate of breast cancer in women, reproductive problems in men and learning and behavioural problems in children. Use 20 drops of Tea Tree essential oil in 1/4 cup of hot water or a 3-4% sodium carbonate solution (also known as soda ash or washing soda). Wear gloves and a mask and scrub with a brush. Make sure the window is open for ventilation. If you are sensitive to mould (many of us are), do not clean the area yourself. Hire a professional.